How to Stop a Dog from Jumping on People
A jumping dog can startle visitors to your home and it can be embarrassing for you. Teaching your dog how to properly greet people will prevent guests from feeling wary of your dog.
The no-collar Remote Sonic Trainer works by taking advantage of the sensitive hearing of your pet in the ultrasonic frequency range which is inaudible to most humans. Use in conjunction with verbal commands.
This remote Dog training equipment helps with a wide range of problem behaviours including jumping on people.
How to train your dog not to jump on visitors
- Train your dog not to jump up on you. Carry the remote in your pocket when you enter your home. If your dog jumps up on you, press the remote to activate the sonic deterrent and growl a loud, "OFF". Do not make eye contact with your dog; ignore him completely. Teaching your dog not to jump on you teaches him not to jump on future guests.
- Teach your dog the sit command. Give your dog the command to sit as soon as you approach the door and before you open the door. After the dog is sitting open the door and let your guest into the house.
- Advise guests not to acknowledge your dog when they enter your house and for say 15 minutes more. Ask your guests not to make eye contact with your dog when they first walk in.
- If the dog jumps up on the guest, ask the guest not to pat the dog, but rather to brush him off and ignore him.
- Train with consistency. It is counterproductive to discourage your dog from jumping on others, while allowing him to jump on you and lick your face.